Mahalo Sports Newsletter #5 - Mahalo Answers Rev Share

Posted by Unknown | Thursday, February 18, 2010 | | 0 comments »

Hey Guys! Hope you are all ready for another fantastic Mahalo Sports Newsletter! In this edition I'll touch on the power of 'Mahalo Answers' I'll share some rank tricks shared with me this week from Mahalo's all-time most successful member and I'll give you the scoop with what's going on with upcoming events.

But first some of the everyday business, first I'd like to congratulated @jessebernardini, @heatherrose, @silencer76 and @JZaf for all reaching the coveted 10 first tasks milestone. Now the fun really begins. I didn't check to see if any new members reached the How-To team but we got pretty solid coverage in that department. Naturally, if you are already on the How-To team and you are looking for a bulk list of How-To's to build, I have a list up to my eyeballs of topics we need covered, so drop me a line.

Many of you after reaching 10 tasks are most likely anxiously awaiting for the revenue share to start piling up, well, welcome to web-writing, to get-revenue share you need to get traffic. I want you all to be aware of some very basic optimization skills you can use to help your Mahalo page get ranked, and ranked high in search engines, because that is where 80% of our traffic comes from.

I spoke to Susan, known as @ssmacd on Mahalo, she is the all time best Manager on Mahalo, she is right now a Vertical Manager, like myself, for the Food vertical, but at one time she was just a normal page manager like all you guys. I asked what her GREATEST tips are for making Mahalo Pages successfully rank in search engines.

1. Good Grammar, Clear Grammar. Nobody will stay on your Mahalo page if the first text section makes no sense, double check and triple check the text portions of your Mahalo Page, make sure they are clear, and informative. If your text section is poorly written no visitor is going to stay, and they just may avoid Mahalo pages in the future. You guys are all writers, so this part should be a cinch.

2. Headings, lots of Headings. Here is an example of a successful Susan page, you can see how she uses lots headings on her page. Check over your pages and try to determine where text can be broken up and put under a new heading and consider that for tasks going forward.

2010-02-18_0057

3. Update your Content. This will come naturally with sports pages, we'll have to update them all eventually, however to get your page ranked it's important to return and tweak it multiple times within the first few weeks, as Susan puts it: It's like shouting to Google, I'm Here, I'm Here. With sport pages, for example Olympic pages, it should not be that hard to think of a reason to go back and tweak information, just changing the tenses will be awesome. If you don't feel like writing, check out the page management tools available and improve some of the sections.

4. Videos Videos Videos. This is a suggestion I give often but it's simply true. One of the stats your page carries is "time on site" and our teams average is currently 44 seconds, this is not good. Putting a Featured Video on your page is an easy way to keep eyeballs on Mahalo for longer periods of time. For every Athlete, Team and Event page you manage try to find a defining video for the subject and place it directly below your text sections.

5. Blogging, Sharing etc... I wrote an entire Newsletter on this a couple week ago, you can check it out again if you like.

Those are the major tricks of the trade, there are other tricks and I'll continue to share as we go forward. Understand some pages that you manage may never earn a penny because they simply have too much competition, they aren't searched enough and/or advertisers don't care to host lucrative ads on them. If you feel you want to abandon a page, I will not blame you, but I do ask that you add one final update to the page and make sure the language won't expire, because who knows when a new manager will come along, it hurts all of us having a bad page in the system.

Mahalo Answers Revenue Share

Onto the 2nd round of business, I hope most of you are all familiar with Mahalo Answers by now, this is where the Mahalo community converges, converses and applies the trade of Internet Research on a daily basis, it is also a major producer for traffic for your pages. This week our CEO Jason Calacanis made the announcement that he was bringing REVENUE SHARE to Askers and Answerers.

2010-02-18_0232

This is Major news and a really good new source of revenue for all of us. In short, when you ask a question on Mahalo Answers or provide a Best Answer to a question, you will earn 1/3 of the revenue the question earns, maximum M$100/per question. Now, some of you may already know I was the Community Manager of Mahalo Answers for over a year, from my personal experience this is an excellent opportunity because some questions on Mahalo Answers get insane traffic! Sometimes instantly, sometimes 5-6 months after they were posted, I have no reason to believe this isn't the best news I've heard for Mahaloians since page management was launched in 2009.

Now, this couldn't come at a better time for us, because some of you maybe experiencing lapses where you have not tasks to work on, please understand this is not because I don't want to send you tasks it mainly because our department is growing much faster then I ever expected and I am working hard helping others, as always, I recommend chat, you can ping me whenever you need work and I will likely get to it right away. I am working on tasks lists all the time but if you ever find yourself waiting, now I highly recommend you re-visit your Mahalo Pages and ask questions about your topics.

Think about information you feel you should have on your page but maybe can't find, or don't want to spend the time to look it up. After you ask your question, categorize it under Sports (and subcategory if you wish) This will absolutely seed our Sports Category! Then go nuts and answer each others questions, give "best answer" to the person who provides the best research because if the best answer is in deed a quality answer it will help your question rank high. Kill two birds and take the information you acquired and use it to update your Mahalo page.

Also... You can inlink on Mahalo Answers, so by all means link to your Mahalo Pages whenever it's appropriate. I literally wrote the book on how to succeed on Mahalo Answers, so if you have any questions about how to make the most of your Answers experience, I am here to help.

So, there you have it for another week. I never got to the "events" portion, but I just wanted to say we got over a dozen volunteers for March Madness coverage, so that will be fun. If there are any upcoming Sport Events that are falling under my radar, be it a UFC match or a Water Polo tournament let me know! I can build you the tasks if you want to cover something I have not mentioned.

Oh, Keep the Twitter Usernames coming, I'm building a great list for all of us.

0 comments